Q: Do you foresee the books in The Legends of the Realm series being made into major motion pictures?
Thomas Locke: Two weeks after signing the book contracts, I received word that a UK film company had decided to acquire film rights to Emissary. I desperately wanted to write the script, but for a project of this size there was nothing I could say that might influence the producers.
So I wrote the first act and sent it to them just before Christmas, 2013. I was contracted to write the screenplay in January 2014.
When I returned to the UK in July to teach at the Oxford-Cambridge summer conference, I met with the producer and director to go over the revision process.
The next step is making an initial presentation to prospective investors. It’s difficult to predict the timing of when a film will begin production, because decisions must be made about who will play the starring role. Funding often hinges on who the star is, and the star’s availability determines when the film begins production.
A lot of work is going on behind the scenes, and I’ll keep you posted as things unfold.
Check out more Q&A posts here at TLocke.com and also at DavisBunn.com:
- Will there be a sequel to EMISSARY?
- Is EMISSARY modeled after specific situations?
- What’s your favorite quote from EMISSARY?
- Describe your creative process in inventing three races?
- Have you ever owned a wolfhound?
- Is EMISSARY a David vs. Goliath story?
- Why are you using a pen name?
- Why is the protagonist in EMISSARY named Hyam?
- Does EMISSARY make political statements?
- How do you hope to encourage EMISSARY readers?
- What is “epic fantasy for modern readers”?
- Who are your favorite fantasy authors?
I’m no actress or anything but if I knew where to audition I know I could be in the movie. If I could only have a chance I know I could do it. It my dream. I absolutely love your book. I live in south Carolina. Just keep me in mind please.
I take acting classes and camps. I also am a good singer. I’m up for any challenge. Many people say I’m a great actress. I may not be professional but I am capable. I am also writing a fantasy book. I would be honored to be in a movie based off of a book which I consider to be better than Tolkien’s works. Please give me a chance