Q: Emissary is book 1 in the Legends of the Realm series. What’s coming next, and when will it be available?
Thomas Locke: I finished the first draft of book 2, The Merchant of Alyss, in October 2014. That book comes out in January 2016.
I have developed story concepts and a thematic structure for book 3, but I’ll sit on it for a few months before I start writing. Book 3 comes out in January 2017.
Q: Can you give us a “teaser” about what we can look forward to in book 2?
TL: In Emissary (book 1), I feel as if I was coming to terms with this new direction my writing is taking and answering a lot of questions about who I am as a writer of mainstream fantasy.
I believe e Merchant of Alyss is a major step forward. It’s kind of like the movement from The Hobbit to The Lord of the Rings.
A massive undertaking begins in book 2. It’s a huge story. The structure of the characters is much deeper, and the challenges they face – internally and externally – are much more pronounced. Book 2 has more of an “epic” feel to me.
Check out more Q&A posts here at TLocke.com and also at DavisBunn.com:
- Is EMISSARY modeled after specific situations?
- What’s your favorite quote from EMISSARY?
- Describe your creative process in inventing three races?
- Have you ever owned a wolfhound?
- Is EMISSARY a David vs. Goliath story?
- Why are you using a pen name?
- Why is the protagonist in EMISSARY named Hyam?
- Does EMISSARY make political statements?
- How do you hope to encourage EMISSARY readers?
- What is “epic fantasy for modern readers”?
- Who are your favorite fantasy authors?