In about half the stories I write, there is a specific instance on which I model the story structure. But not in the case of Emissary. One morning, it just sort of arrived. I had a sense of walking into a full-blown concept of what I wanted to do.
There’s one scene in particular where I felt like I could see it playing out. It’s the scene early in the story where Hyam enters the Ashanta settlement and his childhood friend, Brenna is waiting. I won’t tell you more because it’d be a plot spoiler, but you’ll recognize the scene when you read it.
- What’s your favorite quote from EMISSARY?
- Describe your creative process in inventing three races?
- Have you ever owned a wolfhound?
- Is EMISSARY a David vs. Goliath story?
- Why are you using a pen name?
- Why is the protagonist in EMISSARY named Hyam?
- Does EMISSARY make political statements?
- How do you hope to encourage EMISSARY readers?
- What is “epic fantasy for modern readers”?
- Who are your favorite fantasy authors?